Thursday, November 23, 2006

Dream Jobs

For all you folks who don’t know me, I am a decently intelligent girl who has completed her MSc in Life Sciences (apparently one of the booming fields in India). Following which I went ahead and acquired a 2 yr research experience in my field. I did eventually quit my job to pursue a PhD in the same subject. Since the past 1 year that I have quit my job I have registered myself in Naukri, Monster, TimesJobs and many other such sites in search of a job. These sites generally promise to get you your dream job but all I had asked for is a job Pt/Ft in my field which will let me earn enough, so that I don’t have to run to my parents for my phone and petrol bills. Forget the dream job, the only calls I get are from placement agencies who ask you to pay a fee to register with them (and no guarantees of a job even after that).

The last few days I have been helping a friend of mine to find a job (because he is in desperate need of one). I had expected it to be a tough call as he is still an undergraduate (with 3 yrs experience in the BPO industry). But no sooner had I uploaded his resume, calls start pouring in. He has been on the phone all day giving telephonic interviews and making appointments. (Result – I get abused for making his life so hectic). Anyways, its just been 2 days and the best job he has been offered pays him 22,000 per month (not including incentives and benefits) and he’s still giving interviews with some of the top institutions in India for a better job.

As a consequence, I have spent the last few days re-evaluating the merits of a good educational qualification. How much of a role does your qualification play in getting you a stable career and a good salary? Sadly I don’t seem to be the only one with this plight. I know other well qualified graduates and post graduates who passed college with me working in organizations for an 8,000 – 10,000 per month salary, that is, if they are lucky. Others are as unemployed as me (you should be able to find us on the Graduated and Bekaar community on Orkut). Still thinking about such matters and more. But till then the only thought that resonates in my mind are the words of my friend saying that “Maybe we ARE just overqualified for a Dream Job”.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you ever considered there not being a DREAM job for us overlyqualified people??

Undergraduate people seem to get the cake and lick the cream off it as well!! Being a Graduate, you still have a chance. Being a Graduate, you still have a chance.

For ones like us, our views of getting a better qualification to get a decent pay is OBSOLETE......views of a postgraduate....the woes in life.....

Noname said...

Awww

first_synn said...

There is NOTHING called "overqualified"; period. No matter how big a slice of your life you have devoted to academia, you're still "underqualified" for some job or the other in your field of choice.

Take me for instance. 3 years back, i had a happy life. the life of a multimedia instructor. A respected one at that, at a respected institution. Then one day, i took at artworks by contemporary artists in the field, and realized, all my efforts basically means jack. There i was, "overqualified" for my current job (I had an esteemed clientèle, including Naval officers) and horribly "underqualified" for a job that'd be more of a "dream job".

And there began my quest to get "barely qualified" for this new arena. 3 years later, a pretty penny spent(thank you, nationalized banks), I can confidently say, i am "more than qualified" to be an artist in the CG field. Now many may scoff at me saying "artists need no qualifications", to which i shall reply, "wake up and smell the coffee mate, coz in the real world, the paper asks for your diploma before you put your pen to it".

Which is a funny thing coz, now that it's all been said and done, 'm not quite sure this is what i wanna do. Yes, i have a new "dream job", and i hope to god i am not "underqualified" for it.

Sorry to write a comment that is longer than your blog entry, but this is pretty much what happens whenever i put ye olde keyboard(e?) to the task...

Nice blog.. Keep up the good work. Go bloggers! :-)

Anonymous said...

Maintain the lovely text, inserted to my personal opera feed.

Anonymous said...

Certainly, I like it, exciting and well-founded thoughts. I highly recommend you write more appealing articles in your.